The Other Magic zine series is designed to give GMs tools to incorporate the magical beliefs, practices, and traditions of real world cultures into their games. Emphasis is placed on how magic has been perceived and used by people in the real world, in various times and places, and is derived from research that draws on historic primary sources and academic research.
Other Magic #2: Monsters of the Americas (ZineQuest 2020) explored the legendary creatures of the United States, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean.
Other Magic #3: The Ancient World, the newest issue, features the magic beliefs, practices, and traditions of the ancient world, including those of Mesopotamia, Egypt, Greece, and Rome. Topics include:
- the Greek Magical Papyri, magic spells from the syncretistic cultures of Greco-Egyptian Alexandria and surrounding areas
- amulets, effigies, ostraca, incantation bowls, magical gems, phylacteries, and other magic items
- charakteres, the Ephesia Grammata, onomata barbara, voces magicae, and other magic words and symbols
- binding spells to influence address legal concerns, control emotions, influence sports events, and affect other aspects of mundane life
- curse magic, including the use of defixiones (“curse tablets”) and “funerary imprecations” (grave curses)
- spells to control demons and ghosts
- and more!